Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Pinned It + Made It: Better than Takeout Chicken Fried Rice

Pintastic or Pinstrosity

I don't know about you but I am always a little nervous when I start a Pinterest project. I mean they have whole websites now devoted to how badly a Pinterest projects turn out! It's called Pinstrosity and it's pretty hilarious. I am happy to say that my latest Pinproject was not a Pinstrosity! I love chicken fried rice, so when I saw a pin that claimed to be "better than takeout chicken fried rice" I just had to try it. 


It looks amazing right? I mean who wouldn't want to try it after seeing that pin! Then to my dismay I realized my pin took me to some bull crap picture website! Don't you just hate that? But gladly I was able to track it down. The pin is from a website called Bakerette

Better Than Take-Out Chicken Fried Rice
 
Author: 
Recipe type: Main Dish
Cuisine: Asian
Serves: 5-6
Ingredients
  • 4 cups brown rice, prepared
  • 2 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped or 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked
  • 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
  • 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
Instructions
  1. Prepare rice per package directions and set aside. I like making mine in a rice cooker but if you don’t have one, no worries! The stove top works just fine.
  2. In a large skillet heat sesame oil and sauté onion until transparent. Add the garlic, peas and carrots. Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
  3. Crack eggs over the vegetables and stir throughout the vegetables while scrambling the eggs.
  4. Add the chicken, rice, and soy sauce. Stir until soy sauce is well incorporated.
  5. Remove from stove and serve hot.
Notes
This rice can also be frozen and reheated in the microwave. It tastes just as good.


The recipe makes enough for 5-6 people as do most recipes I find online. My problem with that is I'm making it for 1-2 95% of the time. So I simply cut the rice down to 2 cups, and that was enough for Ben to have two bowls for dinner, one fore myself, and enough left over for me to have it for lunch two days in a row! It also calls for already cooked chicken, so I googled 'how to make moist chicken,' because no one wants dry chicken. I found a recipe that went basically like this:

  • Heat olive oil on the stove
  • Add chicken and turn on each side for about 1 min
  • Turn stove on medium heat and cover the chicken
  • Let sit for 10 min
  • Take off the heat and let sit for 10 min
  • And Ta-Da! It's ready!
Here is the actual recipe for moist chicken. I love cooking with chicken cutlets, they are thin, cook quickly, and I can eat the whole thing unlike a huge chicken breast! So as you can see I skipped some of the steps like pounding out the chicken. I followed the rest of the Chicken Fried Rice recipe cutting back a little here and there, and I must say it was fantastic! It turned out perfectly and much better than any of the fried rice I've tried at numerous places around Amelia Island and Jax! 


I'm a messy cook so there is sesame oil and rice everywhere, but oh well! I happily give this pin my pintastic approval! Follow me on Pinterest to see what I might be cooking up next! 

Have a fab Wednesday loves!
xoxo Ashley




No comments:

Post a Comment